Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How??

Today, one day after our elections, I am completely proud to be an American and totally ashamed of my fellow Californians.

HOW can people in this state forget that our constitution is not a religious instrument?

HOW can we inject our religious beliefs into dictating other people's lifestyles and freedoms (or lack thereof)?

HOW could churches, who are there to support and uphold people, give so much money to taking away the rights of people who are doing them NO wrongs?

HOW can I ever set foot in a roman catholic church again,
knowing that those people's money was instrumental (along with mormons, fundamentalist christians [I can't even bring myself to use capital letters here], and other churches), in negating my sisters' marriage, a union that is strong, and beautiful, and a glorious celebration of their love for each other?

HOW can I ever, ever apologize enough to Paula, Julie, Jacqueline, Melissa, Jill, Barb, and scores of others for the absolute close-minded pig-headedness born of some unnamed and stupid (yes, stupid!) fear held by people who profess love and acceptance every Sunday and then go home to promote hatred and discrimination?

God help us, people, because my God, a God who is merciful, and loving, and giving, and perfect, wasn't behind this campaign of moronic hatred.

Shame on us.

No comments: