Sunday, November 7, 2010

Visibility

One of my sister's highest criteria for rating a new car is the visibility.  If she cannot see properly (for her) out the back window, side windows, mirrors, or windshield, she simply will not drive it.  As I get older, I more and more agree with her.  I currently own a convertible Toyota Solara and, even though I love the car, I am getting crankier and crankier about its lack of visibility.

I think that I also, as I get older, am more intolerant of my lack of life visibility.  When I was younger, it was just fine that I couldn't quite see well enough out of the vehicle that is my life.  Don't know what's ahead?  No problem - I'm sure we won't crash.  Can't see behind me, in case I want to back up?  Who cares!  But now....well, now I just want to have a clear windshield and be surrounded by life's windows. 

Even if what I see isn't perfect, at least I'd have time to steer around it, or decide how to navigate.  But seeing nothing?  It's scaring the hell out of me.  I am in some sort of armed vehicle with nothing but a crack in front of me to peer through, and even that is often obscured by the dust of the road ahead (or perhaps battles just fought).  I am finally at a place where I need to SEE, dammit!  If not, perhaps it's time to pull over, pile out of this car, and go get a new one. Maybe the paint won't be as shiny; maybe it'll be a cheaper car (or perhaps the payments will be so high that I'll find myself really just scraping by).  But I'll know what's coming, and when I get into the garage at night, I'll sleep more soundly and be prepared for the next day, and the one after that.

Just sayin'...

No comments: