Friday, September 14, 2007

Charity Begins at Home

My mom has asked me many times why I am going halfway around the world to do some good for people. After all, there are so many people in need here in my own country, in my own state, in my own CITY. She's right (moms are always right - learn that lesson now and save yourself some grief!), but I feel compelled to go to other places, and so off I shall go. I have to admit that a sizeable part of it is sheer selfishness; I WANT to travel. I've seen my city, my state, even some parts of my country.

I also rationalize my own actions by retorting to her (again, learn the lesson now - do NOT "retort" to your mother - it really never ends well!) that this country has so many social programs, that people do not have to starve in the USA, that there is a system that can give them food, medical care for their children (it's not great, but it exists on some level). In other countries, people starve all the time, many never see a doctor...shouldn't I start there? The one thing I am determined to realize is that spending time determining WHERE to start means still NOT starting. Pick a spot, Start there. DO what you can.

The group "Five for Fighting" has started a website where people can upload videos, although those videos must be set to a song the group produced (clever, huh? free airplay). But, it's a great deal - watch any of those videos ALL THE WAY through to the end, and there will be a donation made to the charity that the video supports. It may be only a buck, but it counts, and it's only 3 minutes out of your life. Many of those videos benefit Autism Speaks, a charity that recently merged with Cure Autism Now. I dare you to watch some of those videos with dry eyes. Here's a link to one - it is VERY poorly written (I know that many of you will be cringing at the grammatical mistakes!) but the message is like a bombshell. So many of us take for granted that our children can speak, laugh, hug us...and so many parents know none of that. I have spoken at length, so many times, to my friend Craig about these same things, and every time realize that I will never understand his pain, never feel the absolute horror he goes through every day with his son. And yet, his love for his son is no less, has never been less, than mine for my own two gloriously normal children. Sara and Alec have been simple to parent; it is parents like Craig and the woman who made this video who are truly gifted at the task. Watch this, please, and spend someone else's dollar to help an organization promote understanding, knowledge, and (hopefully, someday) relief for 1 out of 166 kids and their parents. http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/videos/view/id/246393 When the video ends, you will see another screen with the lead singer of the band on it. You can, if you want, click there to go to ALL of the entered videos and watch more if you want, for the various charities represented.

Be happy. --Janine

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Janine. Ewa forwarded your blog address tome so thought I'd take a look.

Looks like you're still as thoughtful and caring as when we were hanging out lo these many years ago.

I have a younger brother who's deaf so maybe I understand a little bit of what it's like to raise a child who can't communicate normally.

Not sure how that ties in with people in other countries needing more help than people in the USA but what the hey, it's your BLOG!

Your dear friend,

Ken