Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Five More Weeks....

Another week has passed, and I'm that much closer to my trip. Last week, my friend Mary Kay told me about a book she thought I'd like. I bought the book, read it, and it was incredibly good and right in line with this trip I am making, It's called Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortensen. Greg was a mountain climber who, through a series of mishaps, ended up in a tiny little Pakistani village. His experiences with the people there prompted him to eventually start a foundation that has built over 50 schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. His story is amazing and compelling. Thanks, Mary Kay, for the suggestion!

Meanwhile, I have made four sarongs, bought a shirt infused with sunscreen, gathered some other clothing items, and am feverishly researching travel information. Apparently, crossing from Thailand into Cambodia overland is an adventure, but one that Val and I have decided to take on. Oddly, I am even looking forward to dealing with the border guards, Cambodian security police, crooked taxi drivers (they are affectionately known as the "taxi mafia"), and 12 hours of travel to get from Bangkok to Siem Reap and the temples of Angkor Wat. It's all part of the adventure.

Soon, I'm sure I will start to panic, but right now I can only count down the weeks and look forward to this trip. Thanks to those of you who have pledged money for the school. I appreciate your support! More news as it breaks.....

No comments: