Sunday, November 4, 2007

Another Day in Paradise

Sunday, November 4

So, we traveled today from Vientiane, through Luang Prabong (also in Laos), and to Chiang Mai in Thailand. There was a delay when the luggage-tag printer at the Vientiane airport jammed, causing a 35-minute wait for everyone while they waited to print my luggage tags. Small airport - one gate.

At Luang Prabong, I ran into a stupid glitch with the money exchange guy, who basically tried to do the math in his head and was too lame to be able to change my money. For some reason, even though I've been incredibly even-tempered all this trip (which hasn't been easy, at times, with Val, let me tell you), I decided to stand my ground. The following ensued:

Money Changer: This is 7 dollars. I don't have anything under 10. I can't help you.
Janine: That's more than 7 dollars, and I have some small US dollars, so we can work it out.
MC: But this is only 6 dollars. I cannot help you.
Janine: That is 85,000 KIP. What is the exchange rate?
MC: It is 9700. That is only 7 dollars. I can't help you.
Janine: I believe that it's more than 7 dollars; do you have a calculator?
MC: Yes
Janine: Well, can I see it?
MC (holding up calculator): See?
Janine: How about we USE it?
MC: I cannot help you.
Janine. Give me that thing. Look, 85,000 KIP divided by 9700, comes out to...almost 9 dollars. MC: Go buy something with KIP. I don't have less than 10.
Janine: I don't want to buy something. That's why I came to this booth marked "exchange." Look, I'll give you two American dollars, you can keep the 71 cents, give me a ten.
MC (glaring at me and handing me a 10-dollar bill): -------- [total silence]
Janine: Cool! Thanks! Here's your calculator back. (huge smile of sweetness)

Turns out he did the "math" for Val's exchange in his head as well, and gave him back 6 dollars too much. Hah.

Anyway, we got into Chiang Mai with no place to go, but I had done some research and had a place in mind. After much verbal wrestling, some interesting conversation, and me coming about as close to homicide as I have come so far this trip with Val, I chose the place (the one I wanted all along) and here we are. It's beautiful - acres of garden, natural lake, huge apartment, loads of clean towels, extra pillows... I am in heaven.

I am now looking into taking a one-day photography class/safari locally with a photographer who works out of this district - that would be a great capper to a great trip.

I hope everyone is happy and healthy!

--Janine

2 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Janine,

Hard to believe you've been gone 3 weeks already - seems like we just had dinner at the Mexican place. They say time flies when you're having fun ... I'm proof it also flies when you're working long, crazy hours.

All a way of saying that I am so jealous of all those relaxing massages you've been enjoying! Although I must admit I'm just as glad to be missing the heat and humidity.

Can't wait to see the all your photos when you get back ... well, maybe not ALL of them. :)

Jan

Sara said...

I can't believe you're going to be home in a week. So good for us, and so sad for you. :-) I guess I should go clean up that raging kegger Zeph and I had at your house.

Speaking of coming home, do I need to pick you up at the airport? I don't remember if we arranged that before you left.