Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Can you Whistle?

Wednesday, October 17

Up at 0545, out at 0630 on a tour that lasted 12 hours...First, to the floating markets outside Bangkok. Loads of stuff being sold from boats - food, clothes, trinkets. I found my latest favorite fruit - somthing called (I think) Lngon fruit. It's sort of like lychee, tastes like a really good grape. Wonderful.

Then, we were all taken (by a minivan, with litle leg room - hours of this) to the Bridge on the River Kwai. Well, that one was bombed down, but we went to the rebuilt bridge and museum, which are on the site of the original. The things those POWs had to endure to build a bridge for the enemy were unreal. We also visited a cemetery for some of the POWs who died building it. In the minivan, I was in the back row, and suddenly started whistling the theme song form the movie. Within a few seconds, I had four people whistling along with me and one woman humming (she couldn't whistle). Hilarious.

Finally, back to the hotel, with time for another massage (same woman, same bone-breaking grip). I am now so realxed I can barely stay awake. In fact, I shall have to sign off, as I have to get up at 0300 to get on a bus to Cambodia tomorrow morning. I'm ready for a few weeks of a more lazily-paced life. Much more later....

1 comment:

jenny said...

It is fun to read about your adventures! AND it will be even more fun to see the pics!

I can whistle and started up when you mentioned the bridge, of course it sounded more like the malt-o-meal jingle...