Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Of Monks and Men

Tuesday, October 23 (?)

Since my daughter seems to always leave me a comment, and was commenting on the issue of girls having no alternative place to study (boys can go study in the pagodas with the monks), I thought I'd cast a ray of sunlight on what could be a gloomy subject.

Today we visited a Wat in Phnom Penh. It houses 400 monks and 1000 people altogether, including students. We happened to pass a monk, and started talking to him. He was thrilled to explain anything we needed to know, and even took us into their temple there, turned on all the lights for us, and showed us around. I asked him about the issue of countryside girls having no schooling, as they were too far from city schools and could not study in the pagodas. Ahhh, he said, the monks were concerned about that, too. So, now they will (in the larger pagodas) allow the girls to stay in the house with female "lay persons" (cooks, cleaning staff, etc), and study with the boys. It's a small step, but a step in the right direction.

Interestingly, this young man told us that he hoped to someday go to the USA, because everyone there has a job and a home. We explained that even the USA has homeless people, and he was astounded. We also talked with him about the situation in Myanmar. He said that his feelings were hurt that the monks there were being imprisoned, and that his Wat was trying to send them supplies if possible. Never once did he express any animosity towards the Burmese government; it just isn't in his heart to do so. What an incredible religion that teaches (and PRACTICES!) the concept of harboring no hatred. Looking into history, it's clear that Buddhism is one religion that wars have not been fought over - no Spanish Inquisitions, no jihads, no constant conflict with people of other religions. Just a deep and abiding quest for peace and education and help for community. Thanks here to my sister-in-law, Janet, for suggesting a great book on Buddhism written by the Dalai Lama. Reading it along the way here has proven invaluable (and restful).

Along with the Wat, we saw the National Museum, monument to independence, and may tour the Grand Palace this afternoon. Meanwhile, I just got a one-hour foot massage. Heck, by the time I get home, I will have paid for my air ticket in massages alone! These things are amazing; walk all day in this heat, limp into a massage place, and come out an hour later ready to run a marathon. An hour of bliss, plus a head and neck massage, and a cup of tea while listening to relaxing music cost me $7 (I have learned that it's better to pay more for a very clean place, and avoid worry). The same place will do 2 hours of full body massage for 12 dollars. Hmmmm....I think I may have some free time tonight? Sara, are you keeping track of massages? I have lost count...

Nap time. It's rough life. :-)

2 comments:

Sara said...

I believe this makes number 6. :-)

I'm glad that they are trying to integrate girls' education into the system. I understand that it's hard to change centuries of tradition, so I applaud any small step toward gender equality.

Since it looks like I get to request blog topics now, how about something on Westernization? Do the people there seem to stick to cultural traditions, or can you see the western influences of over-consumption filtering in? What about pop culture? Are there posters for US movies or music artists?

I want to know about the society. How typical of me. :-)

ITGeekGal said...

Thanks so much for taking time out of your incredibly awesome vacation to share your experiences... can't wait to see the pics!!!

karen