Sunday, October 19, 2008

At Last, Copenhagen

So, on to the reason I booked this month-long journey in the first place: to see Sara speak at the Internet Research conference in Copenhagen.

Sara was on a panel of four speakers, all of whom (except Sara) are PhD'd academics. They were boring, I have to tell you. And no, I am not being objective, but a couple other people told me the same thing. Sara is a natural speaker (I wonder where she gets that from?) and did an incredible job not only speaking but also being the moderator for her panel.

She's well-organized, brilliant, personable, and wonderful. Ask anyone who was there. Really.

So, after seeing Sara, the rest of Copenhagen was fairly anti-climactic. It was horrifically expensive; lunch was never less than $20, and dinners were astronomical. I felt lucky to get a tiny hotel room for only about $150 per night. Definitely not a place I would like to go back to, but I'm glad I came to see my munchkin speak. (Sara, can you please do a conference in Fiji next time?)

Oh yeah, poker balance at the end of all this: Janine $11,220, Val $10,840. He's catching up, folks...

To top off my Copenhagen experience, I got exactly one hour of sleep my last night there, because a) some idiot was singing at the top of his drunken lungs in the street and b) I was getting sick. Not fun.

No comments: